Donate Now!

Donations benefit the students and teachers of Samoana HS effected by the tsunami. 

Leone Destruction

Leone Destruction
Click Here To See More Tsunami Photos

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Tsunami Story: Myrna

Myrna: Samoana High School Student, 10th Grade, Village of Aua


It was a beautiful morning, I woke up at 5:30 to attend seminary (scripture study). It finished at 6:30 and when I came out of the chapel, it felt pretty cold that was different. I walked home and then I cleaned the house, everybody was there except for my mom, she was at work. It was past 7;30 and I was ironing my JROTC uniform and then everything started to shake. I ran on the road and looked around. IT was amazing. Everything were shaking, the cars, floors were cracking, and things were falling. All of a sudden the mountain collapsed, lucky thing I wasn’t underneath the mountain. Everything started to stop shaking. Honestly, I thought it was cool because it was the only earthquake that I felt and it was hella strong.


After the earthquake, everything was quiet and then my dad turned on the radio. There was nothing just the same morning talofas they were doing. After a little while, cars were passing my house speedily. Since my house in Aua is near a mountain, so it was safe. I was still in the room putting on my uniform and then my dad said, pack everything get on the car. Me and my sisters rushed we got anything we could grab. Then my uncle passed by and said, the waves already passed his house, but my uncle’s house is just 5 houses away. We got in the car and my grandma as still in the house, she was so worried because my mom was at work. I jumped into my uncle’s  school bus, I was scared as hell, I thought I’m going to die. 


An elementary school in Aua got evacuated, all these poor young children were running up the mountain. So our school bus stopped, I panicked a lot and started throwing kids in the bus. I went to last sit in the back and looked out for the wave. I saw my car pass by and started screaming, uncle its coming, go already. Then our bus went up all these children were in the bus crying. I stood up and try and comfort some. Most of the kids were worried about their parents and were screaming as if its the end of the world.


Our bus stopped we had to continue on foot, because the bus will cause traffic to all the cars going up the mountain. When I got up I saw my dad and I felt, everything is fine. So I stood there helping kids to walk safely up the mountain and keep them away from the road. 


When everybody got up safely near my aunty’s house, my dad (bishop) said of few encouragements to the kids to don’t worry. Many children looked hopeless, they were crying, and some tried to comfort others. We sang songs and said a prayer. After all the commotion, people from up the mountain started to go up and down the mountain in search for family members.


I just sat up in the mountain thinking of the tsunami. I could hear every car’s radio but I didn’t quite hear what they were saying. People were calm, trying to adjust to this new routine. I just wandered everywhere looking for friends and people who needed help. Many parents were still looking for their children...


I helped a lady look for her daughter. We walked all the way to the top of the mountain. On our way I saw many people at the side of the road just sitting there. Some people were looking down, but I didn’t pay no attention because I know their safe. When we got up to the top there were a lot of people there. Cars were parking on the other lane leaving the other lane for the cars. I saw Afono Elementary there and many people from everywhere.


I overheard a lady saying, if it weren’t for the kids in Afono the people that lived there could’ve died. When I found the lady’s daughter, I took her to her mother. They were so happy to see each other. But I remembered that my mom wasn’t home yet. I was worried but deep down I know she was safe.


When I came back down, I heard on the radio that not only Am. Samoa was hit even Samoa. It said, that there were many children that were taken by the wave. Many houses were damaged and Samoa was hit pretty badly. After a few hours of sitting, walking, and laughing, the radio finally said, “All the warnings issued are cancelled.” I was so happy! When I got home I was shocked to see my mom home safe and sound. We ate sandwich with chips and I was off to bed. I was so happy my house wasn’t wrecked or flooded. My sisters went to the front to clean my aunty and uncle’s place that were flooded by the tsunami.


Surprisingly, I got woke up by my sister! She said there was another earthquake and we needed to evacuate. So we took everything in the car but I really paid attention to what she said. The evening passed by so slow. I was so devastated because the power was off and everything is going to be dark. I was so pissed!!! Good thing my family had food and we had a big light so that we could see. We also had batteries and we inserted the radio. We found out that we have 20 deaths already. I went for a ride around and it didn’t look good.


Everywhere looked trashed, many houses collapsed. Boats were everywhere, and the houses and stores that were there were all gone, or in the other place. It was heartbroken to see all of this mess! The surrounding felt so sad and dust were everywhere. Cars were either smashed or found in people’s houses. I felt sorry for everybody that lost everything. 


When I got home it was dark. I took a shower and ate dinner. People were still up in the mountain because they think something was going to happen. I didn’t sleep that whole night but I prayed for our people and everybody that lost everything in the wave. 


The next day, stories starts flying around about deaths and everything that had happened. I was so grateful that my house wasn’t harmed and my family was safe. Sad to find out that some of my loved ones were caught in the tsunami. Even though we were hit I’m so thankful I’m safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment